Tuesday, August 03, 2010

American pie for the American birthday boy

I have made a French apple tart before, and I could do my apple crumble blind, but for his birthday Ray asked for an American apple pie with lattice top. Yes, give them a tart and they ask for a top!

Anyway, here's my first attempt, adapted from Epicurious.com:
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
• 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 3 pounds Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced

Because I was making an open top vegetable pie, and roasting a chicken on the same day, I saved time by using short crust pastry from the supermarket.

The process was surprisingly easy, although the prep work for the apple was dead boring. Thank goodness for Mad Men!

I found there was too much apple and not enough nutmeg. But overall the apple flavour was very good, even better than the tart and crumble. Yes, I liked it!

One thing: I baked the base for 10 minutes, which made crimping the edges of the lattice out of the question (hence the less than elegant appearance). I will try doing it without baking the base next time.

Which might be today given I have lots of leftover apples!

No comments: